(no subject)

KirkLowery at XC.Org KirkLowery at XC.Org
Fri Nov 12 20:15:12 EST 1999

Friends,

As B-Hebrew moderators, we ask that the current threads about the
Herzog/Shanks articles be suspended, as well as discussions about the motives
and agendas of participants in the debate. On every list where these articles
were posted, the result has been only acrimony. This must end.

We have had discussions in the past about the so-called "Copenhagen School"
or "minimalist" approach (not to be confused with the linguistic theories of
Noam Chomsky of the same name) to the historicity of the Bible and Israel's
history. These discussions, while lively and even sometimes approaching the
limits of civility, were informative and useful. Since this historical theory
raises the question of the nature and status of the Hebrew Bible, we felt it
fit within our forum's charter.

However, we ask that future postings on this historical approach deal with
matters of substance relavant to our purposes and avoid ascribing motives to
either authors or discussants.

Thank you for your cooperation.

The B-Hebrew Moderators

Kirk Lowery <KirkLowery at xc.org>