http://www.birzeit.edu/links/store.html#myth

Henry Churchyard churchh at usa.net
Fri Nov 12 14:41:28 EST 1999

> From: "Thomas L. Thompson" <tlt at teol.ku.dk>
[...]

I'm not going to continue this discussion, because, frankly
not much that you've said in response to my messages has been
particularly worthy of much reply (though I hasten to assure
you that I have no doubts about your institutional status as a
professor) -- but what I said about the website was factual at
a simple and direct level.  I quote:

    One of the world's leading Biblical archaeologists concludes that
    the Old Testament offers absolutely no credible historical data
    on the early history of Israel.  Its often startling assertions
    will make for a powderkeg of a book.  Among the author's
    conclusions are these: There never was a "united monarch" [Saul,
    David, Solomon] in history We can no longer talk about a time of
    the Patriarchs.  The entire notion of "Israel" and its history is a
    literary fiction.  The Jewish people's historical claims to
    Israel, the small area bordering the eastern Mediterranean, is
    not only the foundation for the modern state of Israel...

The webmaster refrained from adding at the end, "Take that, you evil
Zionists", and I commend him for his relative subtlety on this point  ;-)