Modern Hebrew sine qua non?

peter_kirk at sil.org peter_kirk at sil.org
Thu Nov 11 18:13:48 EST 1999

Dear Randall,

In the light of Jonathan's reply, please can you explain your "sine
qua non" point. Are you indeed talking about modern Hebrew, or simply
tautologously (in part) about biblical Hebrew? Why is modern Hebrew
essential, if it is? Because of linguistic similarities with biblical?
So that one can read books in modern Hebrew about biblical and
converse with Israeli scholars? Or simply because it is easier to
learn a living language and then transfer into a similar dead one? I
guess you think all three of these are good reasons, and I would agree
that all can be helpful, but I don't see any of them as essential. Any
more comments?