Help (on qamets chatuf)

KirkLowery at XC.Org KirkLowery at XC.Org
Thu Nov 11 06:54:24 EST 1999

In a message dated 11/9/99 4:02:49 PM Eastern Standard Time,
BRENT.LYNN.EMERY at prodigy.net writes:

> I  would appreciate anyones help with the rules for understanding the
qamets
> chatuf. Any help or bibliography of resourced would be appreciated. Thanks
in
> advance. Shalom, Brent Emery

I assume you have access to the standard grammars. Gesenius,Kautzsch,Cowley
pp. 49-50. Jouon/Muraoka gives an historical description/explanation in great
detail, vol. 1, pp 40-46 (esp. p. 45). Perhaps the best summary is in van der
Merwe, Naude, Kroeze A Biblical Hebrew Reference Grammar pp 40-42.

That should get you started. After that, if things aren't clear to you, give
us some specific questions/examples and we'll try to help (we have some
expert phonologists on this list!).

Blessings,

Kirk Lowery
B-Hebrew co-moderator