Imperative followed by cohortative

Armando Cottim (DSI) armando.cottim at mundialconfianca.pt
Mon Nov 8 04:16:39 EST 1999

Hi fellows,

I'm sorry if this has been discuss but I've got no access to the archives
(tech problem, no http access).

I've been reading about Abraham's covenant and a couple of statements left
some doubts.

Allow me:

1) When there is an imperative followed by cohortatives the basic meaning of
the cohortatives is one of intention.
2) H.W.Wolf says; "After an inperative, a consecutive clause in the first
person is formed with a cohortative." and also "Such consecutive clauses may
have the sense of a result as well as the sense of an intention".

The main texts for imperative followed by cohortatives are Gen 12:1 and 1
Sam 26:11.

Can you elaborate on these? Any ideas, however provocative ;-), will be
welcome.

TIA
Armando

Armando A. Cottim
armando.cottim at mundialconfianca.pt
Microsoft Certified Professional
Certified Novell Engineer
Certified Novell Instructor
TekMetrics Certified COBOL II Programmer
TekMetrics Certified Visual Basic 5 Programmer
TekMetrics Certified Web Programmer
TekMetrics Certified HTML Programmer
TekMetrics Certified Windows 95 Administrator
TekMetrics Certified Windows 98 Administrator