Nor Is It Necessarily Not So

Ita Sheres isheres at mail.sdsu.edu
Sat Nov 6 20:45:25 EST 1999

I agree with Ian Hutchesson's comments on the Shanks piece.  I find it
distressing that presumed scholars adopt the tactics and discourse of
politics in order to score scholarly points that they cannot otherwise
make.  I didn't read Herzog's essay (and I'd be interested in reading it)
but Shanks' response was a real turn-off; it sounded alot like some cnn
"crossfire" hosts who attack the personalities  of their opposition
when they have nothing of substance to say.

Ita Sheres.