Debtor (Ron) Old Testament Textual History, Masorah

peter_kirk at sil.org peter_kirk at sil.org
Thu Nov 4 00:38:20 EST 1999

Dear "Debtor",

Thank you for sharing with us this interesting summary of the "Jewish
Encyclopedia" article. I agree with you (in a separate E-mail) that
books are not invalid just because they are old. If this "Jewish
Encyclopedia" was a good book when it was published, it is in many
ways a good one still, but if it was flawed then it has not got any
better. I cannot judge it except to say that the extracts given here
seem sound and uncontroversial for its time.

But any old book has the possibility of becoming out of date. What it
states as being true at the time of writing may no longer be true now.
Most obviously, in your point (5) "recently" is no longer true! There
have been many further discoveries since this encyclopedia was
published, such as the Dead Sea Scrolls, and these may have affected
the arguments here.

Unfortunately, your key point here is one which is not true now. I now
understand your key point that "the Old Testament Text is an eclectic
text" in the light of your numbered points (38) and (39). The printed
texts available at the time of the "Jewish Encyclopedia" were indeed
eclectic texts. But modern printed Hebrew texts such as BHS are not
eclectic texts but are reproductions of a single manuscript, commonly
the Leningrad Codex, which is not an eclectic text but a direct
product of the Ben Asher school. I don't know if the writers of the
"Jewish Encyclopedia" knew of the Leningrad Codex, if they did they
were probably wrong to classify it as an eclectic text.

Conclusion: the Hebrew texts available at the time of writing of the
"Jewish Encyclopedia" were eclectic texts. But the Hebrew text now
available, and used as the basis for modern Bible translations, is not
an eclectic text.

So please be careful before calling others "greatly uniformed" or even
"uninformed". It may be the one who has not read modern books who is
uninformed about recent developments. While I respect your years of
learning, the truly wise man keeps his wisdom up to date and does not
rely on the wisdom of his youth.