Alma, Parthenos, Virgin

peter_kirk at sil.org peter_kirk at sil.org
Mon Nov 1 21:15:57 EST 1999

Interesting logic, though I don't know the technical terminology. But
your appendectomy argument only works if there is the opportunity of a
full examination of your abdomen. If the only evidence of the state of
your abdomen is a few damaged photographs of some parts of it, and
there is no scarring visible, there is no proof that you have not had
an appendectomy because the evidence is not complete. Similarly, we do
not have complete evidence about what people were thinking in the 1st
century or whatever, but only a few "snapshots". And so (for example)
we cannot argue that people did not have a concept of virgin birth
just because there is no evidence for such a concept in the surviving
documents.