bet in Prov. 8:2

peter_kirk at SIL.ORG peter_kirk at SIL.ORG
Thu May 13 18:14:30 EDT 1999

The WTS morphological database treats this form B."YT as the construct
state of a masculine noun B.AYIT_2, found (always in this construct
form) at 2KI 11:15, 2CH 23:14, JOB 8:17, PRO 8:2, EZK 41:9 - distinct
from B.AYIT_1 which means "house". The form B."YN meaning "between"
can also be considered as the construct form of a noun B.AYIN (the
version of WTS I have is confused here, giving a lemma B.AYIN as if
the surface form B."YN is its construct but giving it the grammar tag
for preposition). And a noun can have a feminine form, so BDB is
justified I suppose.

Interestingly, this feminine form clearly refers to a woman in three
of its five occurences (2KI 11:15, 2CH 23:14, PRO 8:2), and so I
wonder if it is in fact an adjective, agreeing in gender (though
probably not consistently) with the person in between. This does not
work in Job (but there the location is feminine), and the grammar in
Ezekiel is ambiguous.