YHWH vs. Yahweh

peter_kirk at SIL.ORG peter_kirk at SIL.ORG
Sat May 1 12:44:49 EDT 1999

Well, Joseph, I am not a pastor, but I will try to be "kind, gentle,
helpful, and understanding" anyway.

OK, I'll summarise this. In most cases in the Hebrew the name Joseph is
written simply as YOSEF. But there is one place, Psalm 81:6, where it
is written YEHOSEF. This looks like the type of variation we have in
many names of kings etc. which are written in full with the short form
of YHWH e.g. Yehoash and also in a short form e.g. Yoash. So I am
suggesting that the original version of the name Joseph may have been
YEHOYOSEF "may YHWH (cause to) increase", which matches Rachel's words
in Genesis 30:24 YOSEF YHWH = "may YHWH add". The form YEHOYOSEF would
have been shortened quickly into YEHOSEF and then later into the form
regularly found YOSEF.

"GKC 53q" is a reference to section 53q of the standard Hebrew
reference grammar Gesenius-Kautsch-Cowley (Oxford 1910, still in
print, ISBN 0 19 815406 2). The other letters are the standard
transliteration of Hebrew for this list, which you will find described
on the list's web site. Just read " as a long E and : as a very short
E, also F as a long A and $ as SH, and you will make sense of what I
wrote.

Peter Kirk

PS. I wrote "30:23" by mistake below when I meant "30:24" - there may
be another explanation in Genesis 30:23 using the root )SP "take
away". Perhaps this is the original explanation suggesting an original
form for the name YEHOASAF [Y:HOW)FSFP], which then became shortened
to YEHOSEF and YOSEF and then misunderstood as from the root YSP
"increase". Well, that is a quite different hypothesis.