Hasmonean Bible

peter_kirk at sil.org peter_kirk at sil.org
Sun Jun 20 21:40:55 EDT 1999

Thank you for making explicit here the underlying philosophical
difference between those who date the Hebrew Bible in Hasmonean or
later times and those who support earlier datings. You are explicitly
presupposing that there is no such thing as genuine predictive
prophecy, which (to over-simplify a major philosophical divide) goes
along with atheism or perhaps deism. But your arguments will never be
convincing to theists who reject your presupposition.

So I am surprised to see a devout Christian like John Burnett showing
an interest in these late dating theories.