Eli Eli Lama Azavtany or Eli Eli Lama Sabachthani?

Jim West jwest at Highland.Net
Sat Jun 19 10:58:55 EDT 1999

At 10:36 AM 6/19/99 -0400, you wrote:

>I know this is an old message but I just now noticed something that I
>think merits attention(please correct me if I am in err).
>
>The Aramaic word for God is NOT "Eloi," but is in fact "Alaha." Correct?

No- the Aramaic word for God is 'Elah, and attached to it is the 1st person
suffix y (= my).  The word is aleph, lamed, he, yod.  (sometimes with a waw
as matres lectionis inserted between lamed and yod).  Take a look at the
back of Kohler/Baumgartner's Lexicon where they list Aramaic.  The vowel of
the word is seghol attenutated by the half vowel shewa.  This is an e sound
and not an a sound.

>Kind of similar to what the Hawaiins say "Aloha," and very similar to the
>Arabic word for God - 'Allah.'

Not at all.  Segholate vowels are never a sounds.

>Is it possible you were speaking of the
>Greek Hellenized version of "Alaha" which gave us "'Eloi," because it
>doesn't seem to be Biblical Aramaic at all.

No.  The proper word is 'Eloha.  When the suffix is added the ending elides
and the proper pronunciation is eloi.

Best,

Jim

Jim West, ThD