Augustine source?

Rodney K. Duke dukerk at appstate.edu
Thu Jun 17 17:24:34 EDT 1999

Dear Colleagues,

The following request does not come under Hebrew, but (1) I thought one
of you might know the answer (if not, I'll try to find an Augustine
list), and (2) I thought that some of you might find it interesting
since it does apply to interpreting scripture.

Mortimer Adler, in _Truth in Religion_, states that Augustine held the
following position on interpreting Scripture, but Adler does not give a
reference:
"His first precept was: Hold to the truth of Scripture without
wavering....His second precept followed: Since Sacred Scriptures can be
interpreted in a multiplicity of senses, one should adhere to a
particular version only in such measure as to be ready to abandon it if
it should prove to be false...." (p. 29)

Does anyone know where Augustine says this or how to track it down?
Thanks!
Rodney
--
Rodney K. Duke
Dept. of Phil. & Rel., Appalachian State Univ., Boone, NC 28608
(O) 828-262-3091, (FAX) 828-262-6619, dukerk at appstate.edu