Proverbs 25 and "secret things".

peter_kirk at sil.org peter_kirk at sil.org
Wed Jun 16 18:40:22 EDT 1999

Dear Tsadowq,

I sympathise with many of your points. All list members should indeed
be respectful towards those who bring up any kind of suggestion,
however absurd it may seem. As in science, so in study of the Biblical
text ideas which seem absurd in one generation may suddenly be the
orthodoxy in the next one. So please keep us from intellectual
arrogance. Actually, linguistic insights very often cut across the
authoritative "liberal" commentaries, in that for example they don't
seem to lend much support to the "documentary hypothesis". On the
other hand, some suggestions which have been made on this list do seem
to be based on misunderstanding of the Hebrew language (as the
proposers often recognise when this is pointed out), and it is surely
right that others on the list gently instruct those who are in error.

I am glad that you have apparently concluded, after two years' work,
that the "Bible Codes" could have been generated by lots of monkeys,
i.e. presumably at random. But I don't understand in that case why you
attack those who have concluded the same rather more quickly. A
mechanic can actually tell a lot without opening the hood, from the
sound of an engine etc. These guys have concluded from listening that
this car is not worth buying. Good for you that you have opened the
hood and investigated in more detail what is actually wrong with the
car, and that you are also not buying.

Gematria is not the same thing as the "Bible Codes", it has an
altogether better "sound" and this hood may be worth looking under -
especially when applied to words and short phrases rather than long
passages. So please share with us your insights on this. Do you have
evidence for gematria being used in the composition of the Hebrew
Bible, rather than just in its later interpretation?