Eli Eli Lama Azbatany or Eli Eli Lama Sabachthani?

Jay Childs childs at mciworld.com
Tue Jun 15 01:25:48 EDT 1999

Shalom, Yahua'sef:

I translated Tehillim 22 a couple of years ago and, 1) not to pick nits,
but I think that the MT pronounces it "azavtany", right?, 2) if
[Yeshua/Ishua] spoke Aramaic, he may simply be more familiar with the
version in the Aramaic Targum.  He knew the Hebrew, of course, and probably
read the Isaiah scroll in the synagogue in the Holy Tongue, but may have
read and/or sung the Tehillim at home in household Aramaic.

3) For me, the bigger question is how to translate 'lamah'.  As English
speakers, we find that it cozily fits the niche that our 'why' occupies,
but the more literal would render either "for what" or "to what."  Any
thoughts on that?