Secret Codes

SAlbert at aol.com SAlbert at aol.com
Mon Jun 14 14:10:32 EDT 1999

Jim West wrote:
<<it is pure rubbish- only believed by the unwashed herds of  ignorant
dullards  now populating the planet.>>

I think that is rather too harsh.  The Institute for Mathematical Statistics
saw fit to publish an article on the codes in its journal Statistical Science
a few years ago == and I don't think the academic referees for the institute
can be described as "herds of ignorant dullards."  There are certainly lots
of things one can find at random in the bible text, or in any other text of
similar size -- as some of the nonsense people have seen makes clear.  The
argument for the validity of the "bible codes" is that they appear in ways
which, statistically speaking, are extremely unlikely to happen by mere
chance.  The statistics of this is still up for debate; I understand another
article will soon be printed in Statistical Science challenging the first one.

My own take (and by the way, I do work as a statistician):  Finding encoded
"messages" in the bible, or any other text, proves nothing.  Finding such
"messages" appearing in a way which can be rigorously demonstrated to be
extremely improbable may prove something -- but the jury is still out on
whether that has been done.

Steve Albert