Secret Codes

peter_kirk at sil.org peter_kirk at sil.org
Mon Jun 14 10:45:44 EDT 1999

Dear Wondell,

We discussed this one on the list a few months ago. I don't think
anyone on the list thought very much of the idea. To me, the strongest
argument against such codes is that "hidden messages" can easily
appear by pure chance. It is quite easy to show by simple statistics
that a four or five letter consonantal form of someone's name will
appear many times as a chance pattern in a random Hebrew text of the
length of the Bible, and will often be accompanied by some sort of
meaningful message (as almost any sequence of Hebrew consonants can be
taken to mean something!). So I consider that such "secret codes" are
in fact generated just by chance. This is quite apart from the serious
textual problems with the hidden messages concept and the difficulty
about how they could have been generated.