Biblical Hebrew Syntax Help

Dave Washburn dwashbur at nyx.net
Thu Jun 10 11:28:13 EDT 1999

Jim West wrote:
> Sure.  First, the best thing to do to familiarize yourself with syntax is
> read the Hebrew Bible- or get yourself a NT in Hebrew- that is really a
> tremendous boon for comprehension of Hebrew.  Then, and only after you have
> done a few months of reading in the Hebrew text, get Weingreen's grammar and
> work through it.  He discusses syntax in a very comprehensive manner.
> Finally, when you finish Weingreen (all the while reading Hebrew every day)
> get Gesenius' grammar and work through it.

Mmmmm, I'd be inclined to suggest Waltke & O'Connor over
Gesenius.  It's more up-to-date and much easier to read.  There are
some things they don't cover that you can only find in Gesenius,
but I would tackle these things after working through W&O.

And definitely read every day, even if it's just a couple of verses at
first.  You'll be amazed at the results.

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur