Biblical Hebrew Syntax Help

Jim West jwest at highland.net
Wed Jun 9 09:26:17 EDT 1999

At 09:05 AM 6/9/99 +0000, you wrote:
>First, I like to thank all for your past help and advice on matters of
>Grammar.
>After finishing "Hebrew Tutor" and studying mainly by myself,I'm
>looking to take on Hebrew Syntax study. Are there (simple) books i can
>read, exercises i can do, or any advice out there for someone going at it
>alone?

Sure.  First, the best thing to do to familiarize yourself with syntax is
read the Hebrew Bible- or get yourself a NT in Hebrew- that is really a
tremendous boon for comprehension of Hebrew.  Then, and only after you have
done a few months of reading in the Hebrew text, get Weingreen's grammar and
work through it.  He discusses syntax in a very comprehensive manner.
Finally, when you finish Weingreen (all the while reading Hebrew every day)
get Gesenius' grammar and work through it.

>What can i do progressively to reach competence in syntax training?
>I'm looking for something i can do in my spare time at home. (Family
>responsibilities)

Take about 15 minutes a day reading and then advancing as suggested above
and you will soon have a good handle on it.

Best wishes,

Jim

Jim West, ThD
email- jwest at highland.net