Jos 14-21 (was die Flucht ins Prasens (was Ruth))

peter_kirk at sil.org peter_kirk at sil.org
Tue Jun 1 10:26:04 EDT 1999

Dear Rolf,

When I mentioned in passing that Ugaritic had a past tense YIQTOL
form, I was relying mainly on what you wrote on 28 May, message with
subject "Re: force of conjunctions (was die Flucht..)":

     Regarding question 1, it is possible that the YIQTOL-part of
     WAYYIQTOL *alone* can account for the past meaning of WAYYIQTOL
     in narratives, as is the case in Ugaritic. T.L. Fenton, 1963,
     "The Ugaritic Verbal System", doctoral thesis, Oxford, found that
     yqtl in Ugaritic is the normal narrative form in literary texts,
     and sometimes this form is found with enclitic "u". He found 561
     examples of yqtl with past meaning, 70 as past continuous, and
     191 with future meaning. I.D. Marcus, 1971, "Aspects of the
     Ugaritic Verb in the Light of Comparative Semtitic Grammar",
     Ph.D. diss. Columbia univ. USA and D.H. Madvig, 1966, "A Grammar
     of the Royal Assyrian Annals of the Sargonid Dynasty", Ph.D
     diss., Brandeis univ. USA, confirm that yqtl is the normal
     narrative form in Ugaritic.

Please stop trying to score points by finishing your post with a
question for which you know the answer mush better than I do. If you
do not allow me to argue that the Ugaritic YIQTOL was a past tense,
please avoid using the same argument in your own postings. It is clear
to me from Fenton's statistics that by your criteria YIQTOL in
Ugaritic is NOT a past tense. But if so, your argument to Paul fails
just as much as mine to you.

In general in science, if someone applies a method (especially one
which is not widely accepted) and it gives counter-intuitive results,
then they should look again at the appropriateness of the method. Of
course the counter-intuitive results may be correct, but the method
may also be flawed. I think that may be the case with your method,
which seems to assume a purity and uniformity not found in real human
languages. As Prof. Niccacci just wrote, what is needed is "close
attention to the text and accurate comparison more than speculation
and general linguistics". I think it might be instructive to apply
your methods to living Semitic languages, e.g. colloquial Arabic,
modern Aramaic, even modern Hebrew, and then compare the results with
native speaker intuition. You may find some surprises.