<wayyiqtol> again

peter_kirk at sil.org peter_kirk at sil.org
Fri Dec 31 19:31:11 EST 1999

Dear Rolf,

Many thanks for taking the time to explain this clearly. I was
confused by the differences between Reichenbach's scheme as described
by Galia and Broman Olsen's scheme as descibed by yourself. The
contradictory terminology is certainly confusing to everyone.

You also managed to confuse me at first with the references to
2-dimensional time. (Surely you don't mean complex (in the
mathematical sense) time as it appears in the cosmological theories of
Stephen Hawing?) But when I realised that this was a graphical
convention (not in my opinion a very helpful one), I realised what you
were trying to say.

Let me summarise how I now see the situation, and perhaps you and/or
Galia can comment on whether I understand correctly now.

Galia's S (speech time) is the same as your SP.
Galia's R (reference time) is broadly the same as your C.
Galia's E (event time) has been expanded into:
(a) a period of time which is your ET;
(b) a point of time, within or at the end of ET, which is your RT.

It seems that your C is the time indicated by a time phrase, or is the
same as your ST when there is no indication of time. Your RT is the
time indicated by the sentence, whereas your ET is the real world time
or period of time of the event.

Now let me go back to the original point of this thread. Galia
classifies WAYYIQTOL as building a new reference time - which
apparently means a new C in your terminology. I suppose she means that
in a typical WAYYIQTOL type chain (which, for the sake of example, we
will assume to be a chain of sequential non-overlapping events, as
this is the most common case):

In year N of king X event1(qatal), event2(wayyiqtol),
event3(wayyiqtol)...

C for event 1 is "year N of king X", C for event 2 is a new time
(after C for event 1?), and C for event 3 is another new time.

Would you agree that WAYYIQTOL could be described as building a new C
in cases like this? The problem with this analysis is that we need to
define when the new C is. I guess the new C is the old RT - I think
that was what Galia had in mind with her new reference time idea. That
has the interesting corrolary that WAYYIQTOL, when sequential, becomes
a future tense by your definition:

SP  = time of writing
C1  = year N of king X
ET1 = time of event 1
RT1 = C1 (so the QATAL is present) = nucleus or coda of ET1
C2  = RT1
ET2 = time of event 2 > ET1
RT2 = nucleus or coda of ET1 > C2 (so the WAYYIQTOL is future)

This seems to be where your definitions are leading. We could
paraphrase in English: "From the perspective of year N of king X,
event 1 happens, then event 2 will happen, then event3...". Well, I
suppose WAYYIQTOL being new C plus future tense would account for its
similarity with YIQTOL which is often simply future. Of course, as
Galia points out, the sequentiality is not 100%, so WAYYIQTOL is not
semantically a future tense and more than YIQTOL is. But I fear that I
have taken a wrong turning somewhere. Perhaps you can enlighten me.