Serpent Seed Doctrine

peter_kirk at sil.org peter_kirk at sil.org
Fri Dec 31 18:19:10 EST 1999

Dear Wondell,

The answer is very simple. Genesis 4:1 states clearly that Cain was
the son of Adam as well as Eve, and also credits YHWH with helping
here. Also, while the word "know" (YD`) means "have sexual relations"
in a few cases (BDB lists 17 references), in the great majority of its
943 occurrences it simply means "know". If there is an underlying
theme of sexual seduction in Genesis 3, it is not this word which
indicates it.

It should also be made clear that (despite the similar sounds in
English) the names Cain (Qayin) and Canaan (Kena`an, 9:18) are quite
different and unrelated in Hebrew.