Methods in biblical scholarship (Peter)

Niels Peter Lemche npl at teol.ku.dk
Fri Dec 31 03:50:51 EST 1999

> >1:6-10 The Amalekite found Saul after he had impaled himself but not
> >yet quite dead. Presumably the armour-bearer was dead already, a sword
> >being more deadly than a spear. So the Amalekite kills Saul to put him
> >out of his misery, and walks off with his crown and armlet. David
> >believes the story as how else would the Amalekite have got the crown
> >and armlet?
> >
> >So where is the contradiction?

	[Niels Peter Lemche]
	There is nothing about being impaled on his spear. He is supported
by his spear, as I wrote evidently badly wounded, a kind of Custer's last
stand--in the Flynn version.

	The phrase vehinne shaul nish´an ´al chanito cannot be translated
'pierced by his spear'. The verb sh´n has totally diffferent connotation. I
quote from HALAT German version p. 1489, nif. (no evidence of qal) 1: with
´al: Sich stützen auf 2. Sich aufgestützt legen, es sich bequem machen 3.
sich stützen auf, sich verlassen auf. PK's interpretation is totally
impossible.
	NPL