<wayyiqtol> again, 1S1.7

Bryan Rocine brocine at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 30 06:38:38 EST 1999

Dear Randy,

Thanks for your response and for being careful about your
subject lines.  Others on the list would serve their readers
well to do likewise.

You wrote:
> BR:
> >1 Sam 1:7 wayyiqtol in a series with a yiqtol refering to
> >past habitual action in prose!
>
> RB:
> Bryan, i'm surprised, you're discourse oriented.
> come on, read the text. :-)
> That is where the story goes back
> 'on line' after the hiatus from 1.4b.
> and the day came and E. prepared a sacrifice (... ... ...)
> ... and (that particular year) she cried and was not
eating.
> Segal (Hebrew) and some in English commentaries (don't
remember which)
> follow the MT. Most English translations ignore/emend MT,
even JPS.

Joosten prefers that vayyizbax of 1:4 as narrative mainline
and vattibkeh of 1:7 as procedural.  van der Merwe takes
1:4-8 as a block of procedural text with *both* wayyiqtols
as (in his words) iterative (See the Brill collection). I
did not mention 1:4's wayyiqtol as a counter-example for
Galia because I *do* think it is probably mainline narrative
like Joosten.  Although I am a diehard discourse analyst, I
can't get around 1:7's wayyiqtol being procedural because it
appears so very inseperable from the preceding and following
clauses, which are clearly procedural.

BTW, Galia,  another counter-example from your corpus:  a
block of procedural (modal) wayyiqtols in 2 Sam 15:2.

Blessings,
Bryan

B. M. Rocine
Associate Pastor