FW: Re[8]: Methods in biblical scholarship

Ian Hutchesson mc2499 at mclink.it
Wed Dec 29 15:01:27 EST 1999

At 10.56 29/12/99 -0500, Moshe Shulman wrote:
>The DSS are filled with tirades against the
>temple as it was. They seemed to be independant of the temple.

If you put it in context, it would help. You'll find strong defences of the
temple in the DSS. The tirades are never against the temple, but against
the people who were in control of it at one stage. There are a few well
documented times when this was the case, ie that there was unacceptable
control of the temple. The one I favour was during the Hellenistic crisis
when people like Menelaus were supposed to be gaining from their positions.
At that time the mainstream Judaism was out in the hills trying to survive
and work toward regaining their temple.

Cheers,

Ian