Methods in biblical scholarship (Solomon)

Numberup at worldnet.att.net Numberup at worldnet.att.net
Tue Dec 28 16:56:38 EST 1999

What do I mean by "canon"?  In simplest terms for this discussion, a standardized,
recognized set of writings held as sacred scripture by traditional Judaism.  By that I
mean that if you  go anywhere in the world and read a copy of the  Tanach, you will
find certain specific books in it.  But you will not find others.   I am not assuming
or asserting that this definition of "canon" is held by all scholars of Judaism, or is
even always relevant, but it is a working definition.

Solomon Landers
Memra Institute for Biblical Research
http://www.memrain.org