Methods in biblical scholarship (Solomon)

Moshe Shulman mshulman at ix.netcom.com
Tue Dec 28 11:53:40 EST 1999

At 07:03 AM 12/28/1999 +0100, you wrote:
>At 23.24 27/12/99 -0800, Numberup at worldnet.att.net wrote:
>>so far as I can determine, they have not been a part of any
>>know canon of the Pharisaic sages, i.e., rabbinic Judaism.  That, I
>thought, was the
>>question.
>I was however not dealing directly with that matter but with the notion
>regarding the book of Enoch necessarily related to 'sectarians or adherents
>of alternative "Judaisms."'
>If the corpus of the Dead Sea Scrolls represents the conglomerate of
>pre-Pharisaic normative Judaism, then Enoch, in a pre-canonical period, has
>the equivalent of canonization. It may be from this situation that the
>varieties of Christianity spread carrying with them books like Enoch and
>Jubilees.

As I have said, this whole discussion is really not relevant to Judaism at
any period. I think even a discussion of a concept of 'canon' before the
4th century CE is projecting present day views into the past.

moshe shulman mshulman at NOSPAMix.netcom.com    718-436-7705
CHASSIDUS.NET - Yoshav Rosh            http://www.chassidus.net
Outreach Judaism                       http://www.outreachjudaism.org/
ICQ# 52009254