Methods in biblical scholarship (Solomon)

Numberup at worldnet.att.net Numberup at worldnet.att.net
Tue Dec 28 10:38:16 EST 1999

We are dealing with different questions.  In my original reply, I was responding to
Peter Kirk's question:

<In the late first century or early second century CE Jewish canon, was Enoch
included?>

Therefore, my replies are in light of that question, which concerns the "late first
century or early second century CE Jewish canon."  It would appear that we are
considering the canon of nascent rabbinic Judaism here, not the canon of the Essenes
or other apocalyptic groups.  And for me, "canon" means canon of the Tanach. Or, so I
understood the question.

I am sure that the apocalyptic and pseudepigraphic writings were considered as sacred
or "canonical" by various sects or schools of thought among first century Jews.  But
in my estimation, an "early second century CE Jewish canon" stems from the work of
authorities such as Rabban Yochanan ben Zakkai at Yavneh, and beyond.

Solomon Landers
Memra Institute for Biblical Research
http://www.memrain.org