Methods in biblical scholarship

Moshe Shulman mshulman at ix.netcom.com
Mon Dec 27 19:35:43 EST 1999

At 09:00 PM 12/27/1999 +0100, Niels Peter Lemche wrote:
>	moshe shulman
>> I think 4Q184 would be an example of exposition on Proverbs. I recall
>> something about Job, but I would have to look for it.
>	[Niels Peter Lemche]  It's not a pesher but a targum, translated in
>Garcia Martinez, pp. 143 ff.

It's not a targum as it is in Hebrew. :) It is more of a commentary on
Proverbs 7.

>> >around 100 BCE? And again, does it say that it is canonical literature,
>> or
>> >are we witnessing the initial (or 2nd or 3rd) steps in the direction of a
>> >canonization? And did the HB ever reach the sate of canonization that was
>> >valid for Christian communities?
>> I think the concept of 'canon' is  one that is more Christian oriented.
>> Judiasm seems to have a different view of 'sacred liturature' then does
>> Christianity. For example Ben Sirach can be quoted and interpreted in the
>> talmud at the same time it is being banned.
>	[Niels Peter Lemche]  Also my point

I am not sure what your point is.

moshe shulman mshulman at NOSPAMix.netcom.com    718-436-7705
CHASSIDUS.NET - Yoshav Rosh            http://www.chassidus.net
Outreach Judaism                       http://www.outreachjudaism.org/
ICQ# 52009254