Methods in biblical scholarship

peter_kirk at sil.org peter_kirk at sil.org
Tue Dec 28 00:36:36 EST 1999

As Paul wrote, a Jew to the Jews and a Gentile to the Gentiles. When
writing or speaking to Gentile Greeks, he quoted Greek poets. When his
colleague Jude wrote to Jews (?), he quoted a popular Jewish work.
That doesn't imply that either treated these works as Holy Scripture.
Indeed, it seems that our Jewish friends have confirmed my
understanding that the book of Enoch was never considered by Jews, at
least in the mainstream, as on the same level as the Torah, the books
of the Prophets etc. Yes, they read it and commented on it, as with
Sirach, Jubilees etc, but it was never included in the same category.