Methods in biblical scholarship

peter_kirk at sil.org peter_kirk at sil.org
Tue Dec 28 00:11:08 EST 1999

I understand that even very ancient Jewish tradition does not claim
that Moses himself wrote the last chapter of Deuteronomy. I think my
suggestion attributes to Moses about 37 mostly short verses less than
that ancient tradition (1:1-5, 27:1a,9a,11, 29:1,2a,
31:1,7a,9,10a,14-25,30, 32:44-46a,48-53,
33:1,2a,7a,8a,12a,13a,18a,20a,22a,23a,24a - from a brief look at an
English version). On the other hand, I do accept in part the methods
of literary critical scholarship, and would accept a lesser degree of
Mosaic authorship if given good evidence for it, which I have not yet
seen.

I regret that I have not read all of these scholars, nor your own
work. If indeed I am of like mind with them, then I am in
distinguished company.