Methods in biblical scholarship

Jonathan D. Safren yonsaf at beitberl.beitberl.ac.il
Mon Dec 27 08:23:00 EST 1999

Peter,
I take it that, though you do not accept the Documentary Hypothesis, you
do not claim that all the Torah was written by Moses, and that you admit
that it was composed by multiple authors (you say Deut, is not of Mosaic
authorship), and dates from different periods (since at least Deut.
dates from after Moses' death)?
Do I then understand you correctly, that you are merely proposing
another method of literary-critical scholarship?
If so, then you are of like mind with Cassuto, Loewenstamm, Redford (at
least in the Joseph Narrative), Rofe, Sturdy and myself (regarding the
Balaam Narrative).
Yours,

--
Jonathan D. Safren