Methods in biblical scholarship

peter_kirk at sil.org peter_kirk at sil.org
Mon Dec 27 12:43:40 EST 1999

Subject: Re[3]: Methods in biblical scholarship
Author:  <mc2499 at mclink.it> at Internet
Date:    27/12/1999 03:00

<snip>

>PK: Precisely what examples of books do we have which can be proved to
>have multiple authors? Or are you presupposing the DH again?

When have I presupposed a DH, Peter??

PK: Never. Sorry, for "again" please read "like so many others".

Did Isaiah who was an adult during the time of Ahaz also write about Cyrus??

PK: You are presupposing that predictive prophecy is impossible.

Was the book of Daniel which partly shows a date of writing around 250 BCE
and partly around 165 BCE written by the same person??

PK: Same again.

Did David write all 150 psalms, considering at least one can definitively
be placed at the time of exile or later (By the waters of Babylon...)??

PK: Now you seem to be accepting that David wrote some of them! That
is progress! ;-) But I will allow that Psalms is a collection of
separate writings by several authors. It is not presented as a single
narrative.

Did Moses chronicle his own death in Deuteronomy??

PK: Where does it say in Deuteronomy that Moses wrote any of it? A
large part of Deuteronomy is speeches by Moses. I do not claim that
Moses wrote any of this down.

As NPL pointed out Samuel died in 1Sam25, so did he also report his own
death??

PK: Who before NPL has ever claimed that Samuel did write the books of
Samuel?

We could work out a definitive list of just how many books show multiple
hands, but these should demonstrate the point.

And not trying to support the widespread use of the DH, have you got a
better explanation for the doublets and triplets in the literature?

PK: Yes: the hand of a skilled writer who knew how his own language
worked much better than you or me. Plus some cases in which history
actually came close to repeating itself - that does happen, you know.