Methods in biblical scholarship

Jim West jwest at Highland.Net
Sun Dec 26 17:31:23 EST 1999

At 11:18 PM 12/26/99 +0100, you wrote:

>	[Niels Peter Lemche]
>	Jewish tradition. I think--my memory is fading--that even my old
>nestle of the NT included a reference to Henoch as scripture, so if this is
>the case,

It most certainly is the case.
Other "non-canonical" texts were also cited.  See the volumes by Hans
Huebner, "Biblische Theologie des NT".

>then certainl not only canonical books were considered scripture
>when that piece was composed. Again, the old argument. The way the
>manuscripts of the DSS collection were stored does not show any indication
>that any of the biblical books were in special regard in comparison to say
>Jubilees.

Quite correct.

>Although Abg, Flint and Ulrich has been able to publish their
>first Bible' the DSS manuscripts do not point in the direction of a
>canonical biblical collection, so we are back to the rabbis.

Again, quite correct.  there was no "canon" before the late first century
(and probably not till the mid second).  not in Judaism and certainly not in
Christianity.  Ernst Kasemann demonstrated all this convincingly decades ago.

Best,

Jim

Jim West, ThD
jwest at highland.net