JEPD Evidence - Diatessaron

Polycarp66 at aol.com Polycarp66 at aol.com
Tue Dec 21 21:49:06 EST 1999

In a message dated 12/21/99 9:00:12 PM Central Daylight Time,
scarlson at mindspring.com writes:

<< >>Tatian's Diatesseron is a document known to be composed of the four
gospels.
 >>If the only gospel that survived was the Diatesseron, would scholars be
 >>wrong to subdivide it into four sources?
 >No, but then this is an entirely different circumstance.  Aren't the four
 >traditions separated already clearly in the text?  I thought they were in
 >columns, but then I might be thinking of the hexapla. There is a big
 >difference between this and postulating a number of hypothetical sources
 >which no one can be sure existed (and no one agrees upon the extent,
 >definition, context and characteristics of).

 I believe you are thinking of the Hexapla.  If you want to read an on-line
 version of the Diatessaron (apparently a translation of the Arabic version),
 please visit:
    http://ccel.wheaton.edu/fathers2/ANF-10/anf10-07.htm >>

That's now

<A HREF="http://www.ccel.org/fathers2/ANF-10/anf10-07.htm">http://ccel.org/fat
hers2/ANF-10/an/10-07.htm</A>

The CCEL site has moved from Wheaton to Calvin.

gfsomsel