Historz of Edom

Jonathan D. Safren yonsaf at beitberl.beitberl.ac.il
Tue Dec 21 05:40:53 EST 1999

Jonathan Bailey wrote:

> I am interested in letting this list work for me a little bit and provide me with
> information as opposed to letting it take all my time by feeling obligated to answer
> every question posed. Now 2nd millenium history is something that I have been
> meaning to get acquainted with, and I would like to ask you just exactly how we know
> that there wasn't a permanent settlement in Edom until the mid 13th century?

Dear Jonathan,
I'm not up on my archaeology, but try, for starters, Nelson Glueck's _The Other Side of
the Jordan_ or his _Excavations in Eastern Palestine_.
I know that more recent excavations, such as those at Hisban (Heshbon) have confirmed
that the settlement of Transjordan begins in the mid- to late 13th century BCE.
Yours,
--
Jonathan D. Safren
Dept. of Biblical Studies