JEDP (Melchizedek)

peter_kirk at sil.org peter_kirk at sil.org
Mon Dec 20 16:34:34 EST 1999

Ian, have you read Psalm 110 in Hebrew recently? It is full of the
sort of obscurities which are usually taken as evidence of earlier
dating. How do you account for that? I would account for this by
suggesting early dating, that this was indeed a psalm addressed to
David (rather than written by David) from the period when he took
Jerusalem and became its priest-king. See 2 Samuel 6:17-18, 24:25 for
David acting as priest as well as king in Jerusalem.

There is a simple reason why this psalm (and the Melchizedek story in
Genesis) might have been omitted from the Qumran collections: its
theology (which puzzled the Pharisees: Matthew 22:41-46 and parallels)
was not to the liking of the Qumran sect(s), perhaps because it was
being used by their enemies in Jerusalem to justify their rule.