JEPD Evidence

peter_kirk at sil.org peter_kirk at sil.org
Sun Dec 19 19:56:23 EST 1999

Dear NPL,

I don't think Kant's philosophy is considered decisive in the English
speaking world. We have been, and I would expect you also to have
been, cautious about German philosophy, especially when we have seen
some of the ways in which it has been abused and used to justify many
horrors. Yes, we do need to make a separation between private beliefs
of any kind and scholarly study. I would agree with you that Jonathan
has not made this as clearly as he should in some recent postings. But
this separation must apply equally to atheistic and humanistic beliefs
as to more traditional religious ones. On the other hand, I think that
few of us in this field are able to do so completely.

You write that "In a scholarly discourse, anything that relates to the
supranatural must be left out of consideration." Surely not if the
discussion is of a recorded event which is presented as supernatural,
because then it is at least relevant to investigate how and why those
involved came to believe or write about the event in terms of the
supernatural - and I see no reason to rule out a priori the
explanation that an actual supernatural event occurred. The giving of
the Torah is presented as supernatural, to some extent within the
Hebrew Bible and more clearly so in Jewish tradition and the New
Testament, and so the investigation of this belief is a legitimate
matter for scholarly study.

May I ask you a question? Suppose that a student of yours presented a
well argued discussion of some Biblical passage concerning a
miraculous event, and concluded that this was an actual historical
event in which a divine being acted in a supernatural or miraculous
manner. (The beliefs of the student are here irrelevant - there are
well attested cases of unbelievers who have studied the resurrection
of Jesus and concluded that this was a real supernatural event.) Would
you accept that as a valid conclusion, or would you rule it out a
priori (no matter how good the arguments) and fail the student? If the
latter, I think that you would be the one illegitimately bringing into
the matter your own personal beliefs, in the non-occurrence of
supernatural events (I am of course only guessing at your personal
beliefs here). It is irrelevant that your beliefs happen to correspond
to those of one 18th century German and his followers.