JEPD Evidence

Niels Peter Lemche npl at teol.ku.dk
Sun Dec 19 17:13:41 EST 1999

	[Niels Peter Lemche]
	There is a difference between concluding from an analysis that there
are certain theological implications. In the final chapter in Prelude to
Israel's Past I made the point that from the vantage point of theology, the
Bible cannot lie. Therefore--again from a theologian's vantage point--it
must be the reader who misunderstands what he reads and asks wrong
questions. Since the Bible has not very much to do with what happened in the
real world--and don't force me to explain, I have done that in scores of
places in writing--its message must be of a different kind. I have
continuously been addressing this last point in lectures over the last year
or so, lately at Columbia and at the SBL meeting in Boston.

	Mendenhall--well, I was once invited to the home of Benjamin Mazar
to discuss Mendenhall, and I would not like to mention the conclusion we
agreed on. In my Early Israel I characterized The Tenth Genneration as
rather peculiar.

	All is well that ends well,

	NPL