Theophoric names for women?

Todd Young tbbyoung at flash.net
Sun Dec 19 13:17:36 EST 1999

Cindy Smith wrote:

> Todd,
>
>   I was intrigued by your mention of _All the Women of the Bible_ by
> Dr. Herbert Lockyear, but since it's published by Zondervan, it probably
> doesn't contain any information about Judith and other women of the
> deuterocanonicals.  Do you know of a book that truly discusses _all_ the
> women of the Bible, not just the ones in the protocanonicals?  Thanks.
>
> Also, out of curiosity, I noticed that the name Michael is variously
> spelled Michal, Michel, Melchol.  Does this name mean "Who is like God?"
> or "brook"?
>
> Cindy Smith                                Spawn of a Jewish Carpenter
> GO AGAINST THE FLOW! \\ _\\\_     _///_ // A Real Live Catholic in Georgia
> cms at dragon.com       >IXOYE=('> <`)=  _<<  "Delay not your conversion
> cms at romancatholic.org//  ///       \\\  \\   to the LORD, Put it not off
> cms at 5sc.com                                  from day to day" Ecclus/Sira 5:8

Cindy,
    You are correct, Lockyear only deals with the women found in the canonical
writings. There is another book also entitled All the Women of the Bible written
by a woman whose name I cannot remember that may deal with women from
pseudopigraphal books, I just don't know. I have never used it.
    My take on Michael, no matter how it is spelled, and it is spelled various
ways, means to ask "Who is like God?"
    Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Todd