Theophoric names for women? (Miryam)

peter_kirk at sil.org peter_kirk at sil.org
Sun Dec 19 18:58:24 EST 1999

If "Miryam" is theophoric with the element "-yam", what is the first
part of the word? Neither MRY = "be rebellious" or MRR = "be bitter"
seem likely Semitic roots, I suppose MWR = "change" would just be
possible. But perhaps we should look elsewhere, remembering that
Miryam was born in Egypt.

I know very little Egyptian, but this might help: "Mery-" (or just the
consonants MRY) is a common component of New Kingdom Egyptian personal
names, meaning "beloved of". For example, "Meryamun", "beloved of
Amun", was one of the names of Rameses II, the traditional Pharaoh of
the time of Miryam. So could "Miryam" mean "beloved of Yam"? Or is it
simply a contraction of "Meryamun" or something of the sort? Similarly
"Moshe" could be the Egyptian suffix "-mose" = "son of" used with
theophoric names e.g. Thutmose, Rameses. "Aharon" might even include
the falcon god's name Hor or Horus - also the name given to the
mountain where Aaron died. No doubt the unacceptable pagan theophoric
elements would have been dropped or modified among pious Israelites.

Of course "Miryam" was probably originally, before a regular sound
shift in Hebrew, "Maryam" as in LXX and Arabic, and hence "Maria" and
"Mary."