What ARE the clues for sequence in BH?

Dave Washburn dwashbur at nyx.net
Fri Dec 17 09:20:52 EST 1999

Joe,
> I would, given the opportunity, strongly contend for Peter Kirk's original
> point: an aorist participle preceding the main verb necessarily implies
> sequence of an action leading up to the action of the main verb.

I would have to rephrase this to say that the aorist participle is
used to denote an action that is previous to the main verb, but it
doesn't preclude other actions taking place between them, around
them etc. that may also be indicated in the text, and hence its
function is strictly denoting a previous event and not necessarily
strict sequence as commonly defined in Hebrew.

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
                                   Psalm 86:11