JEDP

Jonathan D. Safren yonsaf at beitberl.beitberl.ac.il
Fri Dec 17 06:29:12 EST 1999

Noel O'Riordan wrote:

> Does it not strike you as strange that in many cases when the author uses
> Elohim he writes with one style and point of view/agenda and that when he
> uses Yahweh he uses another, this is leaving aside any theological imprint.
> And this of course is the most obvious and simple argument for sources.

May I point out that the stylistic differences between the assumed J and E sources are
much less pronounced than those between P and, or P, D and these sources together.
The stylistic differences between J and E are so few, in fact, that Driver, in his
1912 _Introduction to the Literature of the OT_ was hard put to find any, as compared
with the many stylistic and linguistic characteristics of P and D which he listed; so
few that, ever since Rolf Rendtorff's 1978 book on the Pentateuch it has become
customary to speak of the "older sources" or "older strands" or just simply JE.
As I have already pointed out, Rofe and Sturdy have argued against any JE source
division in the Balaam Narrative, and Redford, in a similar vein, argues in his 1970
_A Study of the Joseph Narrative_ that the Joseph story is one unified novellat to
which there have been added a number of interpolations (it seems to me that I remember
von Rad already on the way to ditching the Documentary Hypothesis regarding the Joseph
Narrative, but I can't be sure)
--
Jonathan D. Safren
Dept. of Biblical Studies