Prototype Theory and Hebrew Tense/Aspect

Dave Washburn dwashbur at nyx.net
Wed Dec 15 19:39:58 EST 1999

Matthew,
[snip]
The +realis feature is not part of the prototype, since
> there is no morphological split between modal and non-modal forms in
> Hebrew. All the tensed verb forms except wayyiqtol are secondary modal
> uses, but they have to without any primary modal forms (ie there is no
> subjunctive, optative, evidential, etc forms).

I have to disagree.  While it's true that the modal forms aren't as
rich as they are in Greek, it's pretty clear that yiqtol and weqatal
are modal, which is to say non-realis, as opposed to qatal and
wayyiqtol which clearly encode some sort of real mode (i.e.
actualities, not just possibles or potentialities).  Perhaps
subjunctive, optative etc. aren't the primary modal forms; rather,
there is one primary modal form [-realis] and the others are
derivatives of it.

[snip - good stuff, I have nothing to add]

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
                                   Psalm 86:11