What ARE the clues for sequence in BH?

peter_kirk at sil.org peter_kirk at sil.org
Wed Dec 15 20:50:21 EST 1999

As I understand it, the aorist participle in NT Greek and the
perfective participle and gerund in Russian encode sequentiality, i.e.
an action which is completed before the action of the main verb. They
stand opposed to their present and imperfective counterparts which
encode simultaneity. A Greek aorist participle with an aorist main
verb encode not just the perfective aspect of two completed actions
but also the sequence of those actions. And sometimes you can get
quite a string of aorist participles with one main verb, which are
presumed to be in sequential order. Is that right?