Prototype Theory and Hebrew Tense/Aspect

peter_kirk at sil.org peter_kirk at sil.org
Tue Dec 14 20:54:07 EST 1999

Rather off the top of my head, I would say that the features of
WAYYIQTOL which we have mentioned come to the fore as follows:

+past           usually, not always especially where context is future
+perfective     almost always, perhaps always (?)
+realis         almost always, perhaps always (?)
-dependence     not quite sure what you mean by this one
-subordination  I'd need to look more closely at this one

and if for now we allow a feature from a different level:

+sequential     usually, except in hendiadys and some special cases

I would also suggest a small secondary focus made up of cases in which
WAYYIQTOL is actually a mis-pointing of WEYIQTOL.