Please cite sources for JEDP "refutation(s)" or USEFULNE

peter_kirk at sil.org peter_kirk at sil.org
Mon Dec 13 20:33:06 EST 1999

I wonder if "refutation" is needed for the JEDP approach. Since this
hypothesis is well over 100 years old and is largely dependant at the
foundational level on a discredited model of the history of religions,
I think the onus is on those who continue to assume JEDP to prove
their case. So I would be more interested in seeing a thorough modern
exposition of this theory, based on up-to-date arguments including
linguistic analysis rather than appeal to 19th century authorities.
Maybe Vince's work will lead him in this direction, or maybe towards a
refutation - best of all, I would hope, a balanced reevaluation of the
hypothesis.