b-hebrew digest: December 08, 1999

Numberup at worldnet.att.net Numberup at worldnet.att.net
Thu Dec 9 20:25:36 EST 1999

I have Rashi both in hard copy and CD-ROM (Judaica Press).  I looked over the notes,
but did not see anything that specifically answers the question.  Rashi argues on
grammatical grounds that "bereshit" is a construct that requires the rendition, "In
the beginning of God's creating the heavens and the earth, when..."  Ibn Ezra agrees
with Rashi on this, and so do a number of modern Jewish translators (JPS, Everett Fox,
Artscroll, etc.)  However, other Jewish scholars (e.g. Rabbeinu Bachya, the Vilna
Gaon) disagree with Rashi here, and I am not sure that what Rashi says is the last
word on the matter.

The Artscroll Tanach Series: Bereshis (Mesorah Publications, N.Y. and Jerusalem) has a
nice overview of Rashi's comments on Genesis 1:1, 2.

Solomon Landers
Memra Institute for Biblical Research
http://www.memrain.org