Genesis 1:1: independent clause or subordinate ph

peter_kirk at sil.org peter_kirk at sil.org
Wed Dec 8 18:44:26 EST 1999

To summarise again my argument: If Rashi is correct, we would have to
translate as follows, complete with punctuation:

"In the beginning of God creating the heavens and the earth. The earth
was without form and void..."

Unfortunately this is ungrammatical in English as a prepositional
phrase cannot be a complete sentence. I believe the same to be true in
Hebrew. I prefer a translation which is grammatical. Did Rashi answer
this point?