Sabbath Origins

peter_kirk at sil.org peter_kirk at sil.org
Mon Dec 6 17:18:18 EST 1999

The nouns "shabbat" and "shabbaton" and the verb "shabat" are used in
several cases with references to festivals other than the weekly (as I
understand it) Sabbath. The following references come from BDB:

Referring to the Day of Atonement: shabbat shabbaton Lev 16:31, 23:32
                                   shabat (verb) Lev 23:32
Referring to the sabbath year:     shabbat shabbaton Lev 25:4
                                   shabbat Lev 25:2,4,6, 26:34,34,43,
                                           2Ch 36:21
                                   shabbaton Lev 25:5
                                   shabat (verb) Lev 25:2
Referring to other festivals:      shabbaton Lev 23:24,39,39

The common feature with all of these is that of stopping work. But
there seems to have been no link with the full moon. Yes, the
fifteenth day of the seventh month was "shabbaton", but so were the
first, tenth and twenty-second days of the same month.

BDB quotes an Assyrian parallel between "shabattum" and "um nukh
libbi" ("day of rest of heart"). This suggests that the common feature
between the Hebrew Sabbath (and the other festivals mentioned above)
and the Assyrian Shapattu was not the timing but it being a day of
rest.